Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

Joué keyboard

Has anyone used this with their iPad?
Looks pretty fun....
https://www.play-joue.com/en/the-product/

Comments

• edited February 2019

Hm, it looks 'neat', but I just can't get on board with a 2-octave tiny keyboard for keys playing. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I still primarily use MIDI only to capture my live playing (just notes, really), and those keys, and especially that fretboard! Look unplayable.

• edited February 2019

And the synth module isn't even included in the essentials package! How silly. Plus there's no modwheel, making it tough to assign to 99% of iOS synths since it always seems to be hardwired and unmappable.

So this isn't made for me.

• One must marvel at the technology, if nothing else.

• Ya it kinda seems unplayable in a lot of ways.. Gonna stick with the ol trust worthy roli for now, but this modular part changing concept could be a cool thing if done right

• this modular part changing concept is very good. I'll have to think about which one to get. This one or the Sensel one. I'll probably go for the latter.

• You maybe know this already but this forum https://community.polyexpression.com/ is dedicated to discussing expressive controllers, Jouè, Sensel and more.

• A few people have commented in the discord that the sensitivity is absolutely terrible

• Anyone have these? I’m looking for a small and multi-functional MPE controller for iOS apps and this seems to be the ticket? It’s Cheaper than a roli and seems like it could work? If you activate the MPE does anyone know if that will work on iOS? Seems like the sensitivity issues are fixable via firmware updates and tweaks with the editor.

• @ambrosiajam said:
    Anyone have these? I’m looking for a small and multi-functional MPE controller for iOS apps and this seems to be the ticket? It’s Cheaper than a roli and seems like it could work? If you activate the MPE does anyone know if that will work on iOS? Seems like the sensitivity issues are fixable via firmware updates and tweaks with the editor.

I have a Joue with Pro upgrade, and I can say without a doubt that it is not a pro controller. It is a lot of fun to play around with, and my kids get plenty of joy using it with all the software instruments on my iPad, but the level of control regarding velocity and aftertouch is pretty bad.

Regarding aftertouch, the center of the play area is very sensitive, and seems to respond appropriately. As you move toward the edges, it becomes increasingly less sensitive and requires more force to achieve any aftertouch response. This is not an insurmountable hurdle, when it comes to monophonic playing. You could adjust your playing to fit the change in response; but the big problem is MPE.

If I am holding a note at a certain aftertouch level, and push a second finger down elsewhere on the play surface, the first note with lose most of the aftertouch sensitivity. Add a third note, and almost no aftertouch registers. Also, the velocity is very random around the play surface, sometimes I play as hard as I can to achieve velocity of 90, and other times I tap moderately and get a velocity of 127.

TLDR - the Joue can work as a portable controller if you don't need accurate velocity sensitivity, and especially if you don't need MPE. It fails as an MPE controller.

• edited October 11

@ambrosiajam said:
    Anyone have these? I’m looking for a small and multi-functional MPE controller for iOS apps and this seems to be the ticket? It’s Cheaper than a roli and seems like it could work? If you activate the MPE does anyone know if that will work on iOS? Seems like the sensitivity issues are fixable via firmware updates and tweaks with the editor.

I also have the Joue with the pro upgrade and it's pretty great imo. I mostly use it for practicing monophonic stuff like melodies and basslines, and it's awesome for that. I use Aftertouch a lot, but mostly only one note at a time, and the Aftertouch works perfectly for my use. For instance, when playing SWAM instruments, I like to put the vibrato on aftertouch and it feels lovely and easy to control. I also have the velocity dialed in nicely in the settings. I don't notice the inconsistent velocity that FriedTapeworm mentioned (maybe you have a faulty model?), but I do notice the black keys are a bit more sensitive, but not when I'm actually playing. I really don't have any major complaints.

Overall, I really love the Joue and use it daily.

• I have both the Joué and a Roli. The Joué is so much more fun, especially if you use different keyboards, fretboard, etc. Yes, the sensitivity is bad but not worst than the Roli imo. MPE is a bit unstable. I strongly recommend to test it before buy it but it is fun and I use it a lot

• Great to hear you guys have a good experience with Joué. It sounds like I may have gotten a bad model, although I have read multiple reviews that had the same problem as me. Perhaps they have improved the hardware since I bought mine. I did buy it when they were pretty new to the market.

• The unit shown in the OP is the original Pro (discontinued). You can buy a ‘pro’ software upgrade with the joue play for MPE functionality but I personally can’t recommend it. The MPE implementation is not sensitive or natural feeling. For MPE control I have found the Sensel (also discontinued) with keyboard overlay to be spot on for a budget solution (really sensitive and natural feeling). The Joue is no comparison in this regard.

Having said all of this the Joue is a unique and flexible controller in it’s own right that I personally have come to enjoy using in midi CC applications. I find it quite inspiring this way because the different modules (specifically the non instrument ones) have unique input methods that are intuitive and pretty tactile. I use the ‘XY’ module, the ‘bubbles’ and the ‘sliders’ to modulate effects in realtime while playing synths for example. The free PC software lets you quickly and easily adjust and store what midi data you would like each module to send.

• @FriedTapeworm said:
    Great to hear you guys have a good experience with Joué. It sounds like I may have gotten a bad model, although I have read multiple reviews that had the same problem as me. Perhaps they have improved the hardware since I bought mine. I did buy it when they were pretty new to the market.

At first my Joué was not well calibrated. I had to call the helpdesk and had to install a software to recalibrate it. It was a bit of a pain but at least they solved my issue

• …and when I have a doubt about Joué, I always come back to this video