Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

Record, pause, record, pause

Before iPads, and desktop DAWs, I used to make strange sound collage by feeding sounds into a 4track cassette recorder and pressing pause every now and then. An affordable and way less fiddly version of what Pierre Schaeffer and the concrète mixers were doing with reel to reel tape machines.
So, what I would like to know is, is there a simple app that I can load as an AUv3 in AUM, where I can capture whatever is playing through it, and basically do what I’ve described above?
I realise that there are workarounds folks, so unless you know of an app that can record, pause, and then carry on recording WITHOUT creating separate audio files, then please don’t say “ well, you could always……drambo….blah..” 😊 Thanks!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.
    Just press the record button.

No need for an App to do this.

Ok, so when I press record in AUM then I press stop, and then record, and then stop, and then record and then stop, all of those individual recordings are saved as ONE file?

• I have been through a few apps and haven’t found any audio units so far that let you pause and carry on with a single press. MultiTrack Recorder lets you do it in a couple of presses. Although it saves individual files, it also lets you do a mixdown which should combine them.

Standalone, WaveBox lets you this, it has a Resume button but I’m guessing you want to record something other than the internal microphone.

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    I have been through a few apps and haven’t found any audio units so far that let you pause and carry on with a single press. MultiTrack Recorder lets you do it in a couple of presses. Although it saves individual files, it also lets you do a mixdown which should combine them.

Standalone, WaveBox lets you this, it has a Resume button but I’m guessing you want to record something other than the internal microphone.

Yes I do. Thanks for your reply @MisplacedDevelopment - sounds like you understand what I'm trying to do, which perhaps @tja doesn't.

• @Kashi said:

@tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.

Ok, so when I press record in AUM then I press stop, and then record, and then stop, and then record and then stop, all of those individual recordings are saved as ONE file?

I think a new recording is made for each start.

• Voice memo has pause/resume during recording

• @Kashi said:

@tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.

AUM will create separate files for each recording. If you want the 'next' recording to start instantly when you tap record after after pausing/stoping the previous recording you have to stop and rewind, otherwise it will wait to the next 'downbeat' before starting to record again.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Kashi said:

@tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.

I think a new recording is made for each start.

I think you're correct.

@espiegel123 said:
    Voice memo has pause/resume during recording

Could I open this in AUM and capture what was going through it? Or is it built-in mic only? I suspect this won't work for what I want. Thanks though :)

@j_liljedahl Any chance you could implement this? So that contiguous recordings could be saved as one file? Would be an amazing way to make really interesting collage!

• @Samu said:

@Kashi said:

@tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.

AUM will create separate files for each recording. If you want the 'next' recording to start instantly when you tap record after after pausing/stoping the previous recording you have to stop and rewind, otherwise it will wait to the next 'downbeat' before starting to record again.

Yep, that's what I thought.

Thanks for engaging folks. Sounds like so far, however, no one is able to think of an app that can do what I want.
    It's a fairly simple idea though right? I wonder if Neon Editor or similar might be able to do this , if the developer felt so inclined?

• @Kashi said:

@Samu said:

@Kashi said:

@tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.

Yep, that's what I thought.

Thanks for engaging folks. Sounds like so far, however, no one is able to think of an app that can do what I want.
    It's a fairly simple idea though right? I wonder if Neon Editor or similar might be able to do this , if the developer felt so inclined?

I would imagine that the amount that people would be willing to pay would br small enough that it really wouldn’t be worth a developer’s effort unless they personally needed it. The workaround is so simple for most people, they probably wouldn’t pay for it.

There are also probably technical hassles to deal with that might make it less straightforward to implement than you might imagine.

• @tja said:

@Kashi said:

@tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.

It was not apparent to me, that this was a requirement.
    You can easily select the recordings to be played ... so to further modify them, or whatever.

Otherwise:
    Maybe Loopy Pro?

Loopy Pro doesn’t do what he wants.

• @tja said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

@Kashi said:

@tja said:
    Yes.
    It is called AUM.

It was not apparent to me, that this was a requirement.
    You can easily select the recordings to be played ... so to further modify them, or whatever.

Otherwise:
    Maybe Loopy Pro?

Loopy Pro doesn’t do what he wants.

Then I still did not understand the requirements. 😅
    Sorry.

Over and out.

He wants to start recording, pause, resume,pause, resume… and have that all end up in one continuous audio file rather than separate recordings.

• Neon will do this loaded in an fx slot, if you set Append Recording On in settings ;)

• edited January 2023

your request made me think of bleass slow machine as a 'tape stopper', putting it in an effect slot in aum while the track is recording would in a way (not the precise way you want I guess) allow you to stop/pause the recording (with various options for how fast the tape stop is effected), you will have one take/recording, but there will be silences with the same duration as the stops.

• @danimal said:
    Neon will do this loaded in an fx slot, if you set Append Recording On in settings ;)

Great! Was hoping a simple editing app would allow it - will try it later. Thanks so much

And thanks @janpieter - will look into that too :)

• @Kashi said:

@danimal said:
    Neon will do this loaded in an fx slot, if you set Append Recording On in settings ;)

Great! Was hoping a simple editing app would allow it - will try it later. Thanks so much

:) slow machine will at least give you a 'real stop/start artifact', I'm afraid NEON's stop will be quite brusque/clicky (actually I don't know whether it uses crossfades)..

• @janpieter said:

@Kashi said:

@danimal said:

:) slow machine will at least give you a 'real stop/start artifact', I'm afraid NEON's stop will be quite brusque/clicky (actually I don't know whether it uses crossfades)..

Ok no worries. I was hoping for something pretty seamless....will have a try and see how it goes

• edited January 2023

I believe the sample recording mode within Obsidian within NS2 does this. I recall being able to record a synth, pause recording, change the synth preset, resume and it was all one file. Samples can be super long too so it might work for you

• @db909 said:
    I believe the sample recording mode within Obsidian within NS2 does this. I recall being able to record a synth, pause recording, change the synth preset, resume and it was all one file. Samples can be super long too so it might work for you

Thanks. I don’t have NS2 though….

• @Kashi said:

@danimal said:

yup... i was convinced Neon did it but a cursory glance didn’t reveal it... thanks for the Settings tip @danimal ... also in there is the button to switch on audio scrubbing ... which i had also forgotten about... which is nice :)

• Thanks again @danimal ! Exactly what I wanted