Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

On the fence about Loopy Pro vs Loopy HD!

Ok, I know Loopy Pro is “the best thing since sliced bread”, and I’ve watched many videos. I’ve come from using a traditional DAW, and I have a friend wanting (free) help with his track by playing back and rearranging the audio sections on the fly, so he can decide in what he order he wants them.

I can see that Loopy Pro or possibly Loopy HD would seem ideal for this, but I can’t commit to the cost of Loopy Pro, and the 7 day trial wouldn’t be long enough. I’ve read lots of good reviews for Loopy HD, but is it right that it is no longer developed? I know Loopy Pro would been more flexible, but the expense is the thing.

I need to make a decision soon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• IMO loopy pro is worth 10x the price it sells for. I got it and would get it again.

• @lesf42 said:
    Ok, I know Loopy Pro is “the best thing since sliced bread”, and I’ve watched many videos. I’ve come from using a traditional DAW, and I have a friend wanting (free) help with his track by playing back and rearranging the audio sections on the fly, so he can decide in what he order he wants them.

I can see that Loopy Pro or possibly Loopy HD would seem ideal for this, but I can’t commit to the cost of Loopy Pro, and the 7 day trial wouldn’t be long enough. I’ve read lots of good reviews for Loopy HD, but is it right that it is no longer developed? I know Loopy Pro would been more flexible, but the expense is the thing.

I need to make a decision soon. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that loopy hd has no effects and only takes input from the mic or an audio interface unless you use Audiobus to route audio to it. It is s as also only a standalone app.

• Loopy Pro is far better than Loopy HD and is consistently maintained. Maybe your friend can buy Loopy Pro for you if he really needs the help instead of him trying to get free help.

• edited April 15

Loopy Pro is worth every damn penny and more. Seconding what jwmmakerofmusic said above

• @lesf42 : after re-reading your description. Loopy Pro seems a better fit for what he wants to .. as he can use the sequence page to arrange the audio in a linear manner and rearrange the order by dragging clips to change the order.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Loopy Pro is far better than Loopy HD and is consistently maintained. Maybe your friend can buy Loopy Pro for you if he really needs the help instead of him trying to get free help.

That’s where the problem lies for me, he’s a Latin American Percussionist and a Luddite.

He gets recording himself, but doesn’t “see” the benefits (and costs) of DAWs and Apps. He just wouldn’t pay out for it! I’ve spent money on stuff for him before and never been repaid. The small cost of Loopy HD is bearable for me, compared to Loopy Pro. ☹️

• @espiegel123 said:
    @lesf42 : after re-reading your description. Loopy Pro seems a better fit for what he wants to .. as he can use the sequence page to arrange the audio in a linear manner and rearrange the order by dragging clips to change the order.

👍👍

• @Icoustik said:
    Loopy Pro is worth every damn penny and more. Seconding what jwmmakerofmusic said above

Thanks!

• edited April 15
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I’ll do that, but i think iOS apps are too cheap, and it must be hard for many developers unless they have a very successful app!

• @tja said:
    I think you not go wrong with getting Loopy Pro over Loopy HD, @lesf42

Thanks.

• @reasOne said:
    IMO loopy pro is worth 10x the price it sells for. I got it and would get it again.

👍

• Thanks again for the “reach out” suggestion, @tyslothrop1! I did email Michael on Monday morning, but did not get a response.

As it stands, i think I’ll need to go ahead with buying Loopy HD, as I’ll be meeting up with the friend to help him next Monday.

Also, thanks to everyone else (@reasOne, @espiegel123, @jwmmakerofmusic, @Icoustik and @tja) for your great input!

I can see that Loopy Pro is obviously the best option, but due to the cost I’ll just have to make do with Loopy HD.

Thanks again, and see you in the Discord!

Les

• I'm sure he's a busy man, working on those awesome updates. All the best for your project!

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    I'm sure he's a busy man, working on those awesome updates. All the best for your project!

Thanks! 👍👍

• @lesf42 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Loopy Pro is far better than Loopy HD and is consistently maintained. Maybe your friend can buy Loopy Pro for you if he really needs the help instead of him trying to get free help.

That’s where the problem lies for me, he’s a Latin American Percussionist and a Luddite.

A Luddite? Oh for heaven's sake. 🤦‍♂️ So he expects free help, and expects the onus to fall on your shoulders to buy whatever tech is needed in order for you to help him out?

He gets recording himself, but doesn’t “see” the benefits (and costs) of DAWs and Apps. He just wouldn’t pay out for it! I’ve spent money on stuff for him before and never been repaid. The small cost of Loopy HD is bearable for me, compared to Loopy Pro. ☹️

Tell your "friend" to "pay up or shut up". I sure wouldn't help him with anything. If he wants the help, tell him to stop being cheap and pay for the help he needs.

I apologise if this isn't the answer you're looking for. I'm not sure what your friend has done for you in the past to warrant you helping him out for free, but you may want to reevaluate the "for free" part is the point I'm trying to make.

That said, if you want Loopy Pro for yourself, @tyslothrop1 has the right idea. I see you emailed @Michael a couple days ago. Maybe reaching out to @thesoundtestroom could help as well as he may be able to bring this to Michael's attention.

All the best. 🙏

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Tell your "friend" to "pay up or shut up". I sure wouldn't help him with anything. If he wants the help, tell him to stop being cheap and pay for the help he needs.

I apologise if this isn't the answer you're looking for. I'm not sure what your friend has done for you in the past to warrant you helping him out for free, but you may want to reevaluate the "for free" part is the point I'm trying to make.

Thanks, @jwmmakerofmusic!

I’ve known him as a friend for just over 20 years, and unfortunately, that’s just the way he is, for better or worse!

He’s always been that way (relying on others) with the groups he played in, as I recall he would always need someone to pick him up (more often than not), along with his equipment, no matter where the gig was!

Maybe I’ll contact @thesoundtestroom as you advise.

Thanks again!

• edited April 17

If I may say, Michael's kind offer was for people facing genuine financial hardship - it doesn't sound like this situation qualifies.

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    If I may say, Michael's kind offer was for people facing genuine financial hardship - it doesn't sound like this situation qualifies.

Thanks for the comment Michael, but you’ve really no idea of my circumstances.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 17

@Michael_R_Grant said:

If I may say, your name may also be Michael, but you are not the "judge and jury" who decides if the OP "qualifies" to get Loopy Pro for free. If all you came to do in this thread is to be a negative naysayer, then skip the thread and move along like a good lad.

@lesf42 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thanks, @jwmmakerofmusic!

I’ve known him as a friend for just over 20 years, and unfortunately, that’s just the way he is, for better or worse!

Well, I'm not one to judge whatever holds the friendship together, and it's none of my business really, but if I had a friend like that I'd demand a bit of monetary compensation, especially if the onus falls on you to purchase the proper equipment/app(s) to help him out.

He’s always been that way (relying on others) with the groups he played in, as I recall he would always need someone to pick him up (more often than not), along with his equipment, no matter where the gig was!

I have a friend who can't drive, and I set the expectation that he is to pay me for gas if he needs a lift anywhere. I don't charge an arm and a leg for gas, maybe five quid at most.

Sounds like your friend is a moocher, and it may be best to distance yourself from him a little bit. I know you have a longstanding friendship with him, so I'm not saying "cut off the friendship", but perhaps have him seek help elsewhere? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks again!

Of course mate.

Footnote, I'm with @tja Going with Loopy HD is the wrong decision here. Loopy Pro is far, far more capable. And once you're done helping your friend, you'll have Loopy Pro to play with.

Of course if you're gifting your friend an app, Loopy HD is good enough for him. But if this is an app you're purchasing for yourself to help this friend of yours, do you really want to be stuck with Loopy HD when you could've had Loopy Pro?

• @tja said:

I think, this is the wrong decision.
    Just saying.

Thanks again, @tja!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Sounds like your friend is a moocher, and it may be best to distance yourself from him a little bit. I know you have a longstanding friendship with him, so I'm not saying "cut off the friendship", but perhaps have him seek help elsewhere? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks again!

Of course mate.

Footnote, I'm with @tja Going with Loopy HD is the wrong decision here. Loopy Pro is far, far more capable. And once you're done helping your friend, you'll have Loopy Pro to play with.

Of course if you're gifting your friend an app, Loopy HD is good enough for him. But if this is an app you're purchasing for yourself to help this friend of yours, do you really want to be stuck with Loopy HD when you could've had Loopy Pro?

A “moocher”, yes definitely!

No, the App would be mine.

If my friend had his way, he would record onto tape! He still uses cassettes!

Thanks again, @jwmmakerofmusic!

• @lesf42 said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Thanks again!

Of course mate.

A “moocher”, yes definitely!

Yep, he can seek help elsewhere.

No, the App would be mine.

Then don't short yourself mate. ;) Go for Loopy Pro.

If my friend had his way, he would record onto tape! He still uses cassettes!

I mean there's something to be said about the tape workflow, but sounds like your friend lives in the 70s. 😂

Thanks again, @jwmmakerofmusic!

Always a pleasure mate.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

Always a pleasure mate.

Yes, he does live “in the past”!

Thanks again!

• Glad you got things working out. There are some videos on Loopy HD on youtube. I even recall some of Jakob Haq's older videos where he used it as a looper for jams.

Do you have any DAWs on your idevice? Some you can drag the recorded sections pretty fast, I would say.

Now regarding you friend, i'm pretty sure this is his sequencer :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:
    Glad you got things working out. There are some videos on Loopy HD on youtube. I even recall some of Jakob Haq's older videos where he used it as a looper for jams.

Do you have any DAWs on your idevice? Some you can drag the recorded sections pretty fast, I would say.

Now regarding you friend, i'm pretty sure this is his sequencer :lol:

🤣🤣. Pretty much, yes!

I have looked at older Loopy HD videos before posting this thread, that’s why I was thinking maybe Loopy HD would suffice!

My friend did/does have an older version of Logic Pro which came with his iMac, but he seems to have an issue with updating it?

If I mention DAWs or Sequencer, he glazes over! He doesn’t understand them. You give him a tape player and a microphone, he’s fine!

Everything needs to be “free” for him, even DAWs!

Thanks!

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

If I may say, your name may also be Michael, but you are not the "judge and jury" who decides if the OP "qualifies" to get Loopy Pro for free. If all you came to do in this thread is to be a negative naysayer, then skip the thread and move along like a good lad.

Not judge and jury, just an opinion. Maybe Michael will be more charitable than I would be, but I strongly doubt that the offer was made for people who are (probably rightly) unwilling to pay for the full app because a freeloading friend is unlikely to pay them back!

But @lesf42, Loopy Pro is an amazing app! You may find that a different workflow suits you for your own music as a diversion from your traditional DAW efforts. I've found that Loopy Pro inspires a different kind of track to what I would make in Ableton Live or Logic - just noodling around for ages creating loops is so much fun by itself, even if you don't end up with anything at the end of it! So even if you ultimately decide to go with Loopy HD to help your friend out with his song, you should definitely download the 7 day trial of Loopy Pro when you have a block of free time, and give it a try for your own music-making. Do you have a few AUv3 apps yourself, or are you not really in the iOS music ecosystem yet?

• edited April 17

Just use GarageBand. It’s Free and you can do Loops and traditional timeline production.

Problem solved with a Free and robust app with a long history.
    It’s no where near as elegant and fluid as LoopyPro but it will resolve the issue you are having with helping your friend and not cost you anything other than your time learning to use it to fit the workflow you will ultimately come up with to resolve the issue.

Heck even try Koala, BlocsWave, or Launchpad for playing loops.

In iOS you definitely have options.

But my suggestion of going with the free GarageBand makes the most sense based on the scenario you’ve presented. It’s a very capable application and does everything and more than you need.

Anyhoo just my 2 cents.

Good luck.