Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

Looking for a guide on a simple Loopy Pro + Audio interface setup

Hi Loopy Pro friends!

I have been looping on HD/Pro for a while now, and finally got my first gig (doing the music for my friend's puppet show :P ). Unfortunately, when it comes to audio gear and lingo, I am a n00b. I have spent over an hour trying to figure this out, including lots of searching through these forums, and I figure there's GOT to be a simple tutorial for my needs already somewhere online - I just can't find it!

Basically I just want to be able to use a couple inputs (microphone and guitar), send them into Loopy Pro, and then send those over to a PA system. I understand that I'll need an audio interface for the inputs, and I'm currently looking at the Audient EVO 4 (https://www.amazon.com/Audient-EVO-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B084BGC5LR/ref=sr_1_1), but from what I have read, that only provides audio input.

How do I capture the audio output and send it to the PA? Through the headphone jack? If that's the case, is there any way to get 2 output channels so that I can have a metronome in my headphones but not coming through the PA?

Any links to other tutorials or answers super appreciated - this is a great community and thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• @ludwigvanbeats said:
    Hi Loopy Pro friends!

I have been looping on HD/Pro for a while now, and finally got my first gig (doing the music for my friend's puppet show :P ). Unfortunately, when it comes to audio gear and lingo, I am a n00b. I have spent over an hour trying to figure this out, including lots of searching through these forums, and I figure there's GOT to be a simple tutorial for my needs already somewhere online - I just can't find it!

Basically I just want to be able to use a couple inputs (microphone and guitar), send them into Loopy Pro, and then send those over to a PA system. I understand that I'll need an audio interface for the inputs, and I'm currently looking at the Audient EVO 4 (https://www.amazon.com/Audient-EVO-USB-Audio-Interface/dp/B084BGC5LR/ref=sr_1_1), but from what I have read, that only provides audio input.

How do I capture the audio output and send it to the PA? Through the headphone jack? If that's the case, is there any way to get 2 output channels so that I can have a metronome in my headphones but not coming through the PA?

Any links to other tutorials or answers super appreciated - this is a great community and thanks in advance for any help!

Audio interfaces with rare exceptions provide input and output. The specs for the EVO 4 say 2-input and 2-output: https://evo.audio/products/audio-interfaces/evo-4/specs/

• Any audio interface 2 input (one mono guitar with line level & typically 1/4” jack) and one mono mic input (same type 1/4” jack) and two out puts for a stereo PA. Like @espiegel123 said I can’t think of a single interface that has a singular output jack.

I would make sure the interface is class compliant. Which means it can be powered by your iPad - no need to plug it into a wall.
    Also make sure that the mic input has phantom power if you’re using a condenser mic.

• @ludwigvanbeats said:
    Hi Loopy Pro friends!

ad click track:
    I think you need audio interface with 4 outputs. Then you can send 1+2 directly to PA and 3+4 to the headphones.
    Maybe Zoom U-24? It has 2 stereo line outputs but I don't know if both are exposed in Loopy Pro.
    https://www.thomann.de/intl/zoom_u_24.htm

• @filo01 said:

@ludwigvanbeats said:
    Hi Loopy Pro friends!

ad click track:
    I think you need audio interface with 4 outputs. Then you can send 1+2 directly to PA and 3+4 to the headphones.
    Maybe Zoom U-24? It has 2 stereo line outputs but I don't know if both are exposed in Loopy Pro.

Any inputs or outputs exposed to the os will be available in loopy pro (and most hosts). All four outputs of the u24 are visible.

• Ok gotcha! Thank you so much that makes a lot more sense! I had read somewhere that they were for audio input only which seemed silly to me. Ok great - thanks for the tips I have enough to go on now!

• Thank you so much for this help!

I have a couple other short questions:

In the case of the Evo 4, I see that it says 2 input and 2 output. But in addition to the 2 XLR input plugs, there's also a 1/4" jack with a guitar icon above it. Does that mean that one of the input channels can be provided audio via either the XLR input or the 1/4" jack? If so, why is the jack needed, because it looks like those XLR plugs also contain a 1/4" jack in the center. Why add the little guitar 1/4" jack if it's not a separate audio input?

Similarly - there is another 1/4" jack with a headphone icon above it. Does that jack always play the same output as the L + R outputs?

And finally, if I ever want to control Loopy Pro via a foot pedal, should I make sure to purchase an audio interface now which has a MIDI in?

• edited May 8

Edit: deleting comment

• @ludwigvanbeats said:

@filo01 said:
    ad click track:

Thanks for the link - that's a bargain price! Am I reading correctly on this page that it is NOT powered directly by the iPad itself, and so requires batteries or a power adapter sold separately?

It depends on your iPad. I have a lightning equipped iPad 6. The Apple CCK with lightning power supplied provides enough power to power that interface (which is what I use zoom u-24) but that ipad doesn’t supply enough power by itself. I use it with a powered hub. It can also use batteries or an external power supply but I have never needed to.

Lightning C iPads might have enough power.

• @ludwigvanbeats said:
    Thank you so much for this help!

I have a couple other short questions:

In the case of the Evo 4, I see that it says 2 input and 2 output. But in addition to the 2 XLR input plugs, there's also a 1/4" jack with a guitar icon above it. Does that mean that one of the input channels can be provided audio via either the XLR input or the 1/4" jack? If so, why is the jack needed, because it looks like those XLR plugs also contain a 1/4" jack in the center. Why add the little guitar 1/4" jack if it's not a separate audio input?

Similarly - there is another 1/4" jack with a headphone icon above it. Does that jack always play the same output as the L + R outputs?

And finally, if I ever want to control Loopy Pro via a foot pedal, should I make sure to purchase an audio interface now which has a MIDI in?

I haven’t used an Evo4, but I’ve read the manual and whatr I discovered is that the guitar input is a dedicated DI input that overrides channel 1 when a cable is inserted. The headphone output is whatever the stereo output mix is plus whatever you blend with the direct monitor mix (it’s not a seperate out). The other thing it says in the manual is that when you insert a pair of headphones into the headphone jack it will automatically mute the master outputs for your convenience. It doesn’t mention unmuting them. It would be worth checking what this means. I’ve never encountered this kind of behaviour in an interface before.

• edited May 9

@Mountain_Hamlet said:
    The other thing it says in the manual is that when you insert a pair of headphones into the headphone jack it will automatically mute the master outputs for your convenience. It doesn’t mention unmuting them. It would be worth checking what this means. I’ve never encountered this kind of behaviour in an interface before.

Can confirm that. I had Evo4 at home and it behaved as you described. That was the reason I returned it, because I want to have both monitors and headphones plugged in at the same time, which requires 2 independent volume controls.

• @filo01 said:

@Mountain_Hamlet said:
    The other thing it says in the manual is that when you insert a pair of headphones into the headphone jack it will automatically mute the master outputs for your convenience. It doesn’t mention unmuting them. It would be worth checking what this means. I’ve never encountered this kind of behaviour in an interface before.

Can confirm that. I had Evo4 at home and it behaved as you described. That was the reason I returned it, because I want to have both monitors and headphones plugged in at the same time, which requires 2 independent volume controls.

That’s kind of nuts, but thanks for the confirmation.