Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

Sorted Thank You (I need new monitors)

edited September 21 in Hardware

My current studio monitors are over 22 years old now. They really seem to be losing any balance between the treble and bass. I think both the tweeters and bass drivers are both past their prime, but the speakers have very poor high range clarity now. I did think it was me, but I've had a younger person with better ears come in and listen. Also tried them in many different rooms.

I'm not surprised, they have moved house 8 times and been knocked around quite a bit!

So have to start saving for some new ones. Looking for suggestions of what to buy.

Criteria:

10 x 12ft room.
Decent at lowish volumes.
Have to be placed close to wall and on units not stands.
Can't be any wider than 18cm.
Price no higher than £800 for a pair, preferably quite a bit lower.
Any built in room dynamics assistance would be appreciated as room sound can be problematic.
Must be speakers, as my disability prohibits the use of headphones for any decent period of time.

Any polite suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• You’ll have a lot of choice. My suggestion, if you don’t already have it, is that part of your budget is spent on room correction software. I have IK Multimedia’s ARC system, which is about £150 on Amazon at the moment, including a measurement mic.

New monitors combined with room correction software in an acoustically treated room should give great results.

• edited September 20

@BillS said:
    You’ll have a lot of choice. My suggestion, if you don’t already have it, is that part of your budget is spent on room correction software. I have IK Multimedia’s ARC system, which is about £150 on Amazon at the moment, including a measurement mic.

New monitors combined with room correction software in an acoustically treated room should give great results.

Yep too much choice lol.

Can you get room correction software for iPad, as that's what I'm using at the moment? Don't have any choice in acoustic room treatment beyond common sense furnishings, as its our tv room too! The wife doesn't like bass traps!

Thanks for your reply :)

• If I were you I’d go for IK Multimedia iLoud MTM (or smaller ones depending on space).

The MTMs come with ARC4.

They’re Perfect for small rooms and make a much bigger noise than their size would suggest.

Sampletank 4 may suck donkey balls but the iLouds are pretty great.

• @klownshed said:
    If I were you I’d go for IK Multimedia iLoud MTM (or smaller ones depending on space).

The MTMs come with ARC4.

They’re Perfect for small rooms and make a much bigger noise than their size would suggest.

Sampletank 4 may suck donkey balls but the iLouds are pretty great.

Yes, although I've just started looking seriously, the IK Multimedia monitors are on many people's lists. I will try to get to a shop to have a listen. Thanks.

• @hibjshop said:
    KRK!

Any particular models I should look at or just recommending the brand in general?

• I use Kali IN-5 (independence). Oh wait they're 20cm wide.

Well Kali does make a smaller speaker- the UNF. I haven't heard that pair but Kali makes very good speakers. Something that has bothered me for years is how noisy monitors have gotten, even the Neumann monitors hiss when idle. Kali have addressed that problem, at least with the pair I have, they're very quiet.

https://www.kaliaudio.com/product-line-up

• @abf said:
    I use Kali IN-5 (independence). Oh wait they're 20cm wide.

Well Kali does make a smaller speaker- the UNF. I haven't heard that pair but Kali makes very good speakers. Something that has bothered me for years is how noisy monitors have gotten, even the Neumann monitors hiss when idle. Kali have addressed that problem, at least with the pair I have, they're very quiet.

https://www.kaliaudio.com/product-line-up

The switches that you alter for different speaker positions look interesting. I could probably move the stuff on my units to gain the extra cms. I will put them on my to listen to list. Thanks.

• IK Multimedia just released the Pro version of the micro monitor, with ARC:

• Can't be any wider than 18cm.

Tannoy Gold 5" are 18.2cm, Presonus Eris E5 are 17.8cm, Adam TV5 are 17.9cm
    What is your budget?

• I have these and would def buy them again. Take a look around their website, Rokit collection.
    https://www.krkmusic.com/products/classic-5-powered-studio-monitor-pack

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@BillS said:
    You’ll have a lot of choice. My suggestion, if you don’t already have it, is that part of your budget is spent on room correction software. I have IK Multimedia’s ARC system, which is about £150 on Amazon at the moment, including a measurement mic.

Yep too much choice lol.

Can you get room correction software for iPad, as that's what I'm using at the moment? Don't have any choice in acoustic room treatment beyond common sense furnishings, as its our tv room too! The wife doesn't like bass traps!

I don’t the answer to your question I’m afraid…sure someone will! I’m convinced that spending say £350 on monitors plus £150 on an ARC type EQ room correction software will be light years ahead of £500 on monitors + £0 on software, especially if your room is a general purpose room with no dedicated acoustic treatment. Good luck!

• @hibjshop said:
    KRK!

Ah, yes. That's the brand name I couldn't recall...

• @branis said:
    IK Multimedia just released the Pro version of the micro monitor, with ARC:

Thanks will check them out.

• @filo01 said:

Can't be any wider than 18cm.

Tannoy Gold 5" are 18.2cm, Presonus Eris E5 are 17.8cm, Adam TV5 are 17.9cm
    What is your budget?

Very very maximum of £800, but would prefer to spend much less lol

• @BillS said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@BillS said:

Yep too much choice lol.

I don’t the answer to your question I’m afraid…sure someone will! I’m convinced that spending say £350 on monitors plus £150 on an ARC type EQ room correction software will be light years ahead of £500 on monitors + £0 on software, especially if your room is a general purpose room with no dedicated acoustic treatment. Good luck!

Probably, no idea to be honest. My speaker knowledge is as old as my my speakers lol

• Keep in mind if you’re going to have your speakers near a wall make sure they are front ported and not rear ported.

• The Kali 6.5" are your best bang to buck monitors. Mine are excellent and have settings for close to wall placement.

• @tubespace said:
    The Kali 6.5" are your best bang to buck monitors. Mine are excellent and have settings for close to wall placement.

• @Mountain_Hamlet said:
    Keep in mind if you’re going to have your speakers near a wall make sure they are front ported and not rear ported.

• @tubespace said:
    The Kali 6.5" are your best bang to buck monitors. Mine are excellent and have settings for close to wall placement.

Are these the Lone Pine ones at £200 per monitor?

• Thanks to everyone. That's more than enough choice to go have a look at hopefully. Got to admit although fractionally wider than I want, the Kalis look great in white and would match my furniture! The compact iLouds look a decent choice too. Got to do more research into the KRKs as they have quite a range, but soe models look a tad large.

Definitely enough to get going with. Thank you everyone.

• If possible, go listen to various brands and models side-by-side. Where I live, the local Guitar Center has a wall of different monitors connected to a switcher so you can easily compare them. My son (trombone & piano) and I demo’d a half dozen models using our own test tracks - classical, funk, rock, etc. - and eventually settled on a pair of the Yamaha HS5’s which seemed the most accurate and uncolored. I’ve used them nearly every day since and never regretted that decision.

• @Schmotown said:
    If possible, go listen to various brands and models side-by-side. Where I live, the local Guitar Center has a wall of different monitors connected to a switcher so you can easily compare them. My son (trombone & piano) and I demo’d a half dozen models using our own test tracks - classical, funk, rock, etc. - and eventually settled on a pair of the Yamaha HS5’s which seemed the most accurate and uncolored. I’ve used them nearly every day since and never regretted that decision.

Yep I have a choice. 86 miles to one with all the models I want to listen to and much more or half less than 40 miles to a shop with lots of speakers but none of the ones recommend here lol. Seems like it's butter up the wife time as I don't drive lol

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Yep I have a choice. 86 miles to one with all the models I want to listen to and much more or half less than 40 miles to a shop with lots of speakers but none of the ones recommend here lol. Seems like it's butter up the wife time as I don't drive lol

It’s definitely worth it, in my opinion. Take plenty of time to audition the monitors, maybe an hour or more, and bring several tracks on your phone to use as references. One more bit of unsolicited advice: don’t be seduced by heavy bass. Speakers with a lot of bass may sound good in the store, but unless you have a good, acoustically treated listening space, exaggerated bass frequencies will really mess things up.