Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

With the pending arrival of Logic Pro, is there a new iPad in your future?

edited May 2023 in Logic Pro

Although Logic Pro will work with more than just M2 or M1 iPads, many ABF member’s current pads won’t be compatible.

Logic Pro Plans
  1. What are your iPad plans plans?49 votes
    1. Keep my existing compatible iPad and subscribe to Logic Pro
      46.94%
    2. Purchase a new iPad and subscribe to Logic Probe abuse my current iPad is incompatible
        2.04%
    3. Purchase a new iPad and subscribe to Logic Pro — replacing my iPhone as a music-making devise
        0.00%
    4. Keep my current incompatible iPad and purchase a new one when needed — irregardless of Logic Pro
      20.41%
    5. Wait for Logic Pro to launch and make a decision based upon opinions on the software
      24.49%
    6. Other (explain below)
        6.12%

Comments

• edited May 2023

Sorry about the typo.

• @SNystrom said:
    I tried to attach a poll, but there was an error on it. I will rebuild it and post in a few minutes. Sorry.

That's okay lol. I purchased my M1 last year on June 2nd. Possibly the most reliable iPad I've ever purchased aside from my 2017 Pro that acts as my sheet music reader.

I admit I have a little Spring cleaning to do on it before Logic Pro's release as it's 512gb. (Although only about half full, but so many unneeded audio files in Audioshare.)

But in short, no new iPad in the foreseeable future. Maybe one day I'll buy myself a Mini 6, or Mini 7 by the time I save up enough for one.

• edited May 2023

I have the M1 pro but if Logic is truly NS2 like with all the holes filled, with added bells and whistles and Apple finds where they lost that pesky headphone jack, I could just upgrade. Unlikely all those stars align though.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@SNystrom said:
    I tried to attach a poll, but there was an error on it. I will rebuild it and post in a few minutes. Sorry.

That's okay lol. I purchased my M1 last year on June 2nd. Possibly the most reliable iPad I've ever purchased aside from my 2017 Pro that acts as my sheet music reader.

I admit I have a little Spring cleaning to do on it before Logic Pro's release as it's 512gb. (Although only about half full, but so many unneeded audio files in Audioshare.)

But in short, no new iPad in the foreseeable future. Maybe one day I'll buy myself a Mini 6, or Mini 7 by the time I save up enough for one.

I’m thinking a 1TB iPad Pro will be the minimum for my needs. I couldn’t even download all of the samples that were available for Logic Pro on my desktop. Not enough room!

• I have a Gen 2 Pro which won’t run Logic.

I have largely moved off the iPad for music in the last couple of years and all of a sudden I find myself looking for a new iPad. WTAF?

So what should I get if I do get one? The Pro to get more RAM than 256GB and an M2? Or the Air to save some money?

Decisions, decisions.

• edited May 2023

Purchase a new iPad and subscribe to Logic Probe abuse my current iPad is incompatible

Logic Probe abuse. Please explain OP. (Sounds like an experimental electronic band).

• I also have an M1 12.9” with 1TB. I think I’m good for now and for the foreseeable future, but will definitely consider upgrading as needs arise.

• @cyberheater said:

Purchase a new iPad and subscribe to Logic Probe abuse my current iPad is incompatible

Logic Probe abuse. Please explain OP.

Journalistic malfeasance — a typo 🤓

• Will try LP on my A12 ipad mini (curious to see how it fits in such a small screen) and depending on the look & feel I might upgrade to an M1 Air.....

• Dont think theres that much point in buying an Air.

May as well just use 2 x ipad 9 and an air 3 and not use logic. Thats if the air 3 is ok for an app.

Unless an ipad 9 deal with some audio on a timeline.

• I’ve got a packed full Air 4, so Logic is going to be a squeeze, as well as potentially a bit sluggish. If so I may have to make a decision whether to invest in a better iPad.

So it’s totally down to how the trial performs - I’ll either struggle along with what I have if it’s a bit meh, and they also whack a subscription on my desktop version, but if it clicks with my workflow I’ll make the investment in a better device.

• I've got a 2017 12.9 pro on an a10 or whatever, so I'm obviously not able to use it. I am going to wait until the larger 14" or bigger come out and upgrade then. I use NS2 on my current iPad and have zero problems with the size of the screen for what I'm doing, but if I'm going to upgrade, I'm going to go with the larger screen. I've got a MacBook Pro 16", I already own logic, so I'm in no rush. Ableton is my main DAW. I'm trying to learn Logic for my dabbling in the orchestral space, but its been slow going as I've been doing other things in life.

• I stick to my IPad Air 4 got enough space

• Yeah, I just realized how old my iPad is. First generation Pro from 2017. It has a home button. It has a headphone jack. The chip is an A10X Fusion, which won't run Logic Pro, will it?

So, the next question : What's the most cost-effective upgrade?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Yeah, I just realized how old my iPad is. First generation Pro from 2017. It has a home button. It has a headphone jack. The chip is an A10X Fusion, which won't run Logic Pro, will it?

Buy a refurb and trade in or sell your old one? An older iPad Pro may not yield you a very good return from Apple (you can check on their web site) but you can sell it yourself.

• I would expect Apple to be able to squeeze as much as possible out of their own hardware so I am not planning on upgrading my Air 4 or Mini 6. I certainly would not be investing in new hardware without first seeing the finished product, though I fully expect to have to make some room on my almost full 64GB Mini 6! The styles of music I make are not demanding on resources so I do not think I’ll be hitting any CPU limits with LP on my current hardware.

I hope that the built-in effects and tools will offer the same sort of advantages we saw with NS2 where users were able to really scale up their track count by using the capable and optimised built-in effects. This could mean that even older iPads are able to handle a decent amount of tracks.

• @cyberheater said:

Logic Probe abuse. Please explain OP. (Sounds like an experimental electronic band).

I had a Logic Probe once. I’m much more pragmatic now, especially when sitting down on a hard chair.

• My current 12.9 Pro won’t be able to run it and I’d been reluctant to upgrade to something without a headphone jack. But now I can see future models getting this back, at least the Pro iPads.

It is slightly ridiculous that what they are now pushing as the ultimate mobile music studio has to be tethered to an audio interface or some unwieldy dongle setup, or else suffers high latency through Bluetooth.

Like a lot of people here I’d been getting a bit frustrated with jumping around between apps to get stuff done and was considering a Macbook so I can spend more time with Reason and my Maschine. But yesterday’s news certainly gives pause for thought.

I’ll always have an iPad mainly for Gadget, but I couldn’t justify buying a new Pro just to try out Logic. I know from experience of trying new DAWs and apps that even if it gets great reviews there is every chance I just won’t gel with it.

It’s a conundrum for those of us with devices now at the older end of the lifecycle….

• I have a 12.9" M1 Pro so, while I'll be able to run Logic happily, if they announce an M3 Pro with a headphone jack I'll be camping outside the Apple Store. Only if it has a headphone jack though.

• edited May 2023

@evenSteven said:

It’s a conundrum for those of us with devices now at the older end of the lifecycle….

yah if I didn't get an M1 because I had to give up my 2017 10.5 Pro (the Mrs iPad fried) then I doubt I would even be thinking about a new iPad until my 2017 fries. i am super happy on desktop with Maschine in Endlesss and back and forth to Endlesss on iPad. The exporting/importing from Logic will have to be smooth AF to compete with Maschine and Endlesss.

• This is really messing with my plan to migrate primarily to desktop!

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    This is really messing with my plan to migrate primarily to desktop!

A revised version of LP is anticipated for desktop also, so you could choose to do nothing and still come out ahead.

• My M1 Pro has been sitting around twiddling its thumbs for over a year, waiting for this :smile: Finally, finally I'll be glad I sprung for the 1TB with 16GB RAM.

• wimwim
    edited May 2023

I'm sticking with the plan. iOS for creative work, desktop DAW for arranging, mixing, and mastering anything that gets to that level. I go creatively blank the minute I sit down at the desktop - and really at most iOS DAWs (Zenbeats possibly excepted). The iPad and AUM, Drambo, Loopy Pro unlock that creativity.

Major DAW work on an iPad seems dumb to me compared to just using a desktop. I'm sure it's great for some people, but I just feel too constrained and inefficient for that scale of work.

I can't see Logic Pro for me on the iPad. Maybe on the desktop, though FL Studio is all I really need there.

So, safe for now. I feel no need to upgrade anything just yet, and certainly not because of Logic Pro, which I'm kind of glad my hardware can't run so I don't have to give LP another thought until I do.

• 11” iPad Pro 1TB. Patiently awaiting the arrival of Logic🤓

• I have a iPad Pro 12.9 2nd Gen that doesn't quite hit the target. My fingers are crossed that it will still allow Logic Pro on it otherwise I'm off to CEX to swap out.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Yeah, I just realized how old my iPad is. First generation Pro from 2017. It has a home button. It has a headphone jack. The chip is an A10X Fusion, which won't run Logic Pro, will it?

If you are thinking of staying with the iPad (rather than migrate to desktop) I think a 1TB Pro is going to be the sweet spot. Very soon I imagine storage is going to become an issue: not only for Logic but also for any other players that enter the market as a result. Sample instruments with large libraries etc… it’s very likely the next couple of years are going to see a huge expansion of the iOS music scene, with more companies porting their products.

• I'm wonder whether to upgrade to the M1 version. I have that in my MacBook Air and it's awesome. Never seem to run out of processing power.

• @cyberheater said:
    I'm wonder whether to upgrade to the M1 version. I have that in my MacBook Air and it's awesome. Never seem to run out of processing power.

Aside from processing power, the M1/M2 iPad Pros have a lot more RAM than any other model of iPad, at least 8GB, and 16GB if you get 1TB or more of storage. iPad AIR M1 also has 8GB RAM. So I'd say any M-series iPad would be worth it if you plan to run LP.

• So looking at the choice between the iPad and the Pro, it's pretty obvious I don't need all the extra cameras and amazing screen resolution....
    But the basic 10th generation iPad maxes out at 256G storage! God dammit, Apple.