Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

New iPad Mini

edited October 15 in Hardware

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/10/apple-introduces-powerful-new-ipad-mini-built-for-apple-intelligence/

Ships 23rd of October.

TLDR

It's pretty much the old iPad with the A17 Pro chip (so it'll work with Apple Intelligence), Pencil pro support (so you get to buy a new pencil too, yay!), new 128GB base storage... and new colours.

Everything else is pretty much as we were.

Comments

• Ha, I've kind of waited for this, thanks for the info!

• @klownshed said:

It's pretty much the old iPad with the A17 Pro chip (so it'll work with Apple Intelligence), Pencil pro support (so you get to buy a new pencil too, yay!), new 128GB base storage... and new colours.

Strange choice not to throw in a m series though no? Maybe the unified architecture hardware components wouldn’t fit in the smaller form factor??

as to your little joke, yes, I dislike apples policy for making you buy new peripherals for next gen hardware (seemingly every two years now , and the Magic Keyboard is super expensive to do that with)

it would seem this mini does allow pencil 2 AND pencil pro support, unless I’m wrong in my interpretation of the literature ??

Anyway $500 …is that sort of steep for a mini? The m series iPad Air was almost the same price for me…my mini was like $299 iirc…

• ^^^ Inflation has left nothing untouched these days… even ‘mini’ things.

• £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

You need a new pencil too — the two new ones (Pro and USB c) are required not the last gen Apple Pencil.

No 1TB tier

And the same jelly wobble screen as the old mini.

Not very exciting tbh. Can’t see a single reason it makes sense over the air unless you have freakishly small hands.

• @klownshed said:
    £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

You need a new pencil too — the two new ones (Pro and USB c) are required not the last gen Apple Pencil.

No 1TB tier

Not very exciting tbh. Can’t see a single reason it makes sense over the air unless you have freakishly small hands.

Wasn't the screen supposed to be fixed for this release? (ie. controller on the long side instead of the short side?).
    Remains to be seen how badly this new Mini will get 'butchered'...

Logic as one example requires M-Class CPU for stem-separation (Even though the A17Pro would more than likely be able to do it too).

M1 would have totally ruined the battery time for it so the omission of that one is quite understandable...

• @Samu said:

@klownshed said:
    £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

No 1TB tier

Wasn't the screen supposed to be fixed for this release? (ie. controller on the long side instead of the short side?).

>

Reports are it’s the same display. You’d hope they would fix it but the display was already pretty poor when the last mini was released. There’s not a lot of love for this model from Apple.

In a parallel universe they’d have mini as a screen size option on the full range of iPads.

• I'm probably the only one excited for the Mini 7. 512gb is the minimum storage I need for music production. I like the smaller form factor, but won't lie the iPhone Pro Max 14's screen is a bit limited (as well as a lot of apps being iPad-only). No Apple Pencil 2nd Gen support (afaik) kinda sucks for the Mini 7, but I'm sure I'd get a new Pencil Pro eventually anyways for my professional digital art in ProCreate.

As soon as I can get it via Amazon Affirm Loan, I'm in.

• edited October 15

It’s a good little iPad for general purpose use and most people won’t care about the things we do…

One issue though is that it only has 2 performance cores. An M2 Air has 4 power cores. Although the M4 iPad Pros only have 3 P cores unless you get the 1TB model.

The one thing that drives me mad about Apple though is the excessive cost for storage upgrades. They really are stingy with the base configs too.

• @klownshed said:
    It’s a good little iPad for general purpose use and most people won’t care about the things we do…

One issue though is that it only has 2 performance cores. An M2 Air has 4 power cores. Although the M4 iPad Pros only have 3 P cores unless you get the 1TB model.

The one thing that drives me mad about Apple though is the excessive cost for storage upgrades. They really are stingy with the base configs too.

That's no lie. Apple is that type of corporation with one of those "you can't live with them, can't live without them" sort of deals, lol.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@klownshed said:

That's no lie. Apple is that type of corporation with one of those "you can't live with them, can't live without them" sort of deals, lol.

You get what you pay for and a lot of their products are amazing quality and work out good value of their life span. But the cost of the storage (and ram on desktop) upgrades is way over the top and ends up making you feel bad about upgrading.

• @klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@klownshed said:

You get what you pay for and a lot of their products are amazing quality and work out good value of their life span. But the cost of the storage (and ram on desktop) upgrades is way over the top and ends up making you feel bad about upgrading.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Apple products are not made for the price sensitive. But if one has the money and they are not prone to regret after spending it, then enjoy.

• @klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@klownshed said:

Indeed. Then again, Amazon's Affirm Loans often take away the sting of how pricey these Apple products can become. Pay it off over time, and then write off on taxes if music and/or digital art is/are your main source(s) of income. That said, I hope you do have Affirm in your country, mate.

@NeuM said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@klownshed said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Apple products are not made for the price sensitive. But if one has the money and they are not prone to regret after spending it, then enjoy.

I've yet to regret an Apple purchase to be honest. My Apple Watch might've been a needless purchase I admit, but I still love the hell out of it. <3

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@klownshed said:

Indeed. Then again, Amazon's Affirm Loans often take away the sting of how pricey these Apple products can become. Pay it off over time, and then write off on taxes if music and/or digital art is/are your main source(s) of income. That said, I hope you do have Affirm in your country, mate.

@NeuM said:

@klownshed said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@klownshed said:

I've yet to regret an Apple purchase to be honest. My Apple Watch might've been a needless purchase I admit, but I still love the hell out of it. <3

Same here on the Watch. I just love it.

• @jwmmakerofmusic I'm with you. All I need is a mini with a good cpu, and the a17 pro benchmark looks great in my opinion

• I was sad when I gave you my iPad mini 6 for the iPad pro4. The weight and holding the new iPad makes a huge difference. The mini is almost a perfect device and for traveling. As long as it can run most of Logic Pro I’m good. Don’t really need the stem splitter. That’s just extra on the side. Beathawk and gadget is perfect for the mini also. And of course reading books on ibooks . the mini is the winner. I’m just interested in the speaker output if it got louder? The website believe it says the mini screen is the anti glare now.

I thought I wanted stage manager but never used it or figured it out and the mini is made for 18.1 so that’s a plus and of course I’ll keep the iPad Pro for larger projects and for work.

The mini does have a place. I got one for each of my family members.

• edited October 15

Looking forward... For cheaper minis gen 6 when they release the new model :D

• @Samu said:

@klownshed said:
    £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

No 1TB tier

Logic as one example requires M-Class CPU for stem-separation (Even though the A17Pro would more than likely be able to do it too).

M1 would have totally ruined the battery time for it so the omission of that one is quite understandable...

I wonder if they’ll add in the A17 Pro to the lineup for stem separation because that would push move to letting the M1 Pro 11 I have go for a Mini 7. I’ve always loved the mini size but couldn’t sacrifice the power. Really want to see a 120hz screen on it one day but for now its just a dream.

• I’m glad there’s an upgrade and I’ll be looking forward to grabbing it in a few years when my mini 6 stops being the most amazing thing I’ve ever owned!

• Still no headphone jack. I really do miss those.

• @cyberheater said:
    Still no headphone jack. I really do miss those.

Yeah, the adaptors are annoying and take up the only port. Then you add extra dongles and before you know it. your nice light portable device is weighed down with anchors.

My MacBook Pro has taken over from my iPad as my music making device of choice. It has a headphone jack. Luxury. And I can plug in a little USB keyboard at the same time without need an additional box.

Having said that I like the idea of the Mini for making music that’s different to using my DAW on Mac. Lightweight and fun to leverage all the best of iOS.

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@Samu said:

@klownshed said:
    £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

No 1TB tier

I wonder if they’ll add in the A17 Pro to the lineup for stem separation because that would push move to letting the M1 Pro 11 I have go for a Mini 7. I’ve always loved the mini size but couldn’t sacrifice the power. Really want to see a 120hz screen on it one day but for now it's just a dream.

The A17 Pro is the chip that Apple used in the iPhone 15 Pros, so it's not the latest A-series chip from the 16s. It's the minimum spec for Apple Intelligence, so I guess there's a slight possibility. Apple rarely go back to add features on previously unsupported hardware. The only time I can recall them doing so was with Stage Manager but that was before the feature actually shipped.

• @klownshed said:
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/10/apple-introduces-powerful-new-ipad-mini-built-for-apple-intelligence/

Ships 23rd of October.

TLDR

@klownshed There’s a also 512 gig storage option

• @klownshed said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Samu said:

@klownshed said:
    £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

No 1TB tier

I wonder if they’ll add in the A17 Pro to the lineup for stem separation because that would push move to letting the M1 Pro 11 I have go for a Mini 7. I’ve always loved the mini size but couldn’t sacrifice the power. Really want to see a 120hz screen on it one day but for now it's just a dream.

The A17 Pro is the chip that Apple used in the iPhone 15 Pros, so it's not the latest A-series chip from the 16s. It's the minimum spec for Apple Intelligence, so I guess there's a slight possibility. Apple rarely go back to add features on previously unsupported hardware. The only time I can recall them doing so was with Stage Manager but that was before the feature actually shipped.

Yea just wishful thinking. I think I’ll just stick with my M1 Pro for a bit longer

• edited October 16

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@klownshed said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Samu said:

@klownshed said:
    £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

No 1TB tier

Yea just wishful thinking. I think I’ll just stick with my M1 Pro for a bit longer

They might! I’ll be you my jam doughnut that they don’t though.

M1 Pro is definitely the better device.

The M1s stack up well still I think… my M1 MBP is the best Apple computer I think I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a lot.

• I can never get enough of this dudes 'parodies' :sunglasses:

• @klownshed said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@klownshed said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@Samu said:

@klownshed said:
    £799 for 512Gb+WiFi

No 1TB tier

They might! I’ll be you my jam doughnut that they don’t though.

M1 Pro is definitely the better device.

The M1s stack up well still I think… my M1 MBP is the best Apple computer I think I’ve ever had. And I’ve had a lot.

I agree 100%. I love my M1 Pro 11 but the form factor of the mini is just perfect for me. If they took the power and 120hz screen of the Pros and put them into a mini I’d pay whatever they ask. I’m also rocking a M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14 and it’s hands down the best valued laptop I’ve ever owned. Can’t see myself needing to upgrade any time soon

• Yep m1 ftw
    Club m1 baby

I’m curious if anyone knows what the a17pro silicon architecture is unified like the m series silicon

The only thing I don’t get is their memory upgrades - like for double the gb you pay $200 but for extra ram you just get a bigger HD. Should be separate upgrades at lower cost each cuz not everyone needs the ram and not everyone needs the space

Anyway 64gb air still going strong after 2 years - and it’ll last another 5+ without slowing

• @yellow_eyez said:
    Anyway 64gb air still going strong after 2 years - and it’ll last another 5+ without slowing

If all I used was Gadget, mate, 64gb or even 128gb would definitely be sufficient. But, I have many romplers which take up so much space (especially XinematiX and PSP2, which I recently noticed had a new piano IAP I immediately purchased). Then of course there are the many sample packs I use. :) And once I get a new 512gb Mini 7, I will also get Oneshot at last.

I'm hoping to snag a purple one, but eh. Space Gray is fine too.

• Oh for you man, def go for it
    As long as it runs Logic do it :)

• @yellow_eyez said:
    Oh for you man, def go for it
    As long as it runs Logic do it :)

It indeed does mate. :) I may download full Logic to it rather than barebones Logic for Mastering only. Hopefully stem separation in Logic works on the Mini 7. I'll definitely find out one way or another. Koala's stem separation is serviceable enough, but not quite the quality what I heard come from Logic in various videos!