Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

Imaginando - BAM - Beat Maker & Music Maker - Out Now

Comments

• @sinosoidal said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    .> @Samu said:

@sinosoidal said:

All your suggestions make sense. We need indeed to manage priorities for the release. Right now our focus is stability an consistency, trying to reduce crashes to nearly zero, specially with AUv3. This feedback will not be forgotten. :blush:

AUv3's can be tricky to diagnose as they do not create any crash-logs :(

So far I've mainly focused on the stand-alone and now hat the browser is working a bit better I'll give the AUv3 a spin even though I'd likely need a 16" iPad to make that an enjoyable experience :sunglasses:

Is that just an oversight on Apple or is there some limitation there that prevents auv3 from creating a crash log? That sounds like a big time pain for developers, holy crap

We receive crash logs from AUv3 too. I think it sends. I don't know limitations.

Okay good. Just from times I’ve had to troubleshoot some code, I’d be so lost without a crash log or debugger lol

• @sinosoidal said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    .> @Samu said:

@sinosoidal said:

All your suggestions make sense. We need indeed to manage priorities for the release. Right now our focus is stability an consistency, trying to reduce crashes to nearly zero, specially with AUv3. This feedback will not be forgotten. :blush:

So far I've mainly focused on the stand-alone and now hat the browser is working a bit better I'll give the AUv3 a spin even though I'd likely need a 16" iPad to make that an enjoyable experience :sunglasses:

Is that just an oversight on Apple or is there some limitation there that prevents auv3 from creating a crash log? That sounds like a big time pain for developers, holy crap

We receive crash logs from AUv3 too. I think it sends. I don't know limitations.

Good to know as there's nothing left on the device...
    (I managed to make it crash at least once and went on looking for crash-logs and didn't find any).

But if you get them that's good :)

• edited October 2023

I'm falling in love with BAM more and more. Make sure that the instrument does not disappear when playing with the keyboard😊It's so inconvenient to configure. And thanks for the video.

• @solncekreeze said:
    I'm falling in love with BAM more and more. Make sure that the instrument does not disappear when playing with the keyboard😊It's so inconvenient to configure. And thanks for the video.

Already fixed. Should be available on the next beta

• @sinosoidal said:

@solncekreeze said:

Already fixed. Should be available on the next beta

Thank you. I study further.

• @Samu said:

@sinosoidal said:

Actually, some AUv3 do generate crash logs which can be found in Settings->Privacy->Analytics. I have forwarded many an AUv3 crash log to developers

• @espiegel123 said:

@Samu said:

@sinosoidal said:

Actually, some AUv3 do generate crash logs which can be found in Settings->Privacy->Analytics. I have forwarded many an AUv3 crash log to developers

Goodie, wish all of them did that! :sunglasses:

• edited October 2023

Just tried 4pockets Multitrack, Loopback and Loopy Pro and Segments multi out AU,s inside of BAM all working great. The audio creating and routing possibilities on iOS nowadays just blows my mind. BAM also exports any live audio coming in from Multitrack, Spacecraft, Loopback etc so quite flexible.

• I'll say this about BAM .. it's UI is great and very well implemented, and lends itself to experimentation. Like some have said this could end up being the best groovebox on iOS. I'd still pick drambo because once you get over the initial learning curve, you can make it as immediate as you want, but this is close enough while being its own thing.

As for the limitations, it's still more powerful and flexible than say the octatrack. I'd be happy if the fx limitations were increased but apart from that not much to complain about. If anyone thinks this is a toy then I reckon the problem is not the app itself. Maybe they're amazing musicians and from their own perspective have a valid point, but I see it as a glass half-empty or full kinda thing i.e. you can either use what's there or complain abt it. In any case I'd say it's pretty low down in the list of problems, what with over-population, starvation and climate change etc. 🤔

My major concern has been stability (because of issues with lk I'd mentioned earlier on this thread), which has become less of a concern with the rate at which they've been updating the betas. Though I haven't used it in the last week or so I'd already noticed improvements relative to earlier versions. So I'm most probably going to end up pre-ordering. The expected release date is November 6th right?

• Also does it have pdc?

• Pitch delay compensation?

• Plugin delay compensation i.e. latency compensation. Not really standard for groovebox type apps so I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask anyway.

• @sinosoidal I can't wait for your guys new creation to arrive. I'm looking forward to the release of this more than any ios app in a very long time. Good work.

• edited October 2023

.> @maschinelf said:

Plugin delay compensation i.e. latency compensation. Not really standard for groovebox type apps so I'm guessing not, but thought I'd ask anyway.

In drambo you can workaround by setting two bus tracks, one with a delay, one not, then you route all your tracks that need delay compensatio to the non-delayed track, all other to the delay bus (so you delay all other tracks to “wait” for the necessary delay)
    Maybe that can also be achieved in BAM, I’m not certain as I only recently joined the beta and just skimmed the surface of what it can do, so far

• edited October 2023

I think it is important to understand the main purpose of classic groovebox gear type (it's same for SW and HW realm) ..

It is not made for the purpose of detailed editing and building whole track the way how you build it in DAW with all kinds of detailed tweak which are usually possible in DAW.

Groovebox is like "guitar" or "piano" for electronic music producer. It's for just improvising and building some groove/melodic structures of (mostly electornic dance music) track, for quick finding ideas which are working, structures which are making track foundation.

Those structures are then mentioned to be used for live performance (in terms of live tweaking of parameters, muting/unmuting tracks, switching patterns in real time - hence creating track progression in real time, something which is normally "written" or "imprinted" in DAW project) - OR for exporting stems into some kind of DAW for finishing details and making full blown track with "fixed" structure ..

The main purpose of groovebox, in case it should stay in it's main use case area, contradicts the idea of having it super complex with tons of features - cause a lot of features leads it is not useable for quick track sketch, quick building of basic tracks groove structures. Also for live performence you really do not want groovebox with billions of features, submenus, atc. Simplicity and limited set of deatures is crucial for groovebox to serve it's purpose,

I think atm BAM is right on the spot in this area.

I would say absolutely crucial thing on which devs should throw all their time is to make BAM brutally stable and reliable. Cause i see very big use case for live performance, but if it will be not 100% rock solid stable like piece of concrete block, this use case melts down very quickly. Just one random crash can totally destroy whole performance, so this should absolute top priority, way more important that adding any thinkable feature.

If DAW crashes sometimes, you can at large extend solve this by saving project more often.
    If groovebox crashes sometimes - you simply avoid using it at all, cause you doesn't want getting crash in middle of your performance.

Just sayin'

• Maybe I'n 'blind' (as usual) but I can't seem to find any quantize options when recording using the keys or pads?!

• @Samu said:
    Maybe I'n 'blind' (as usual) but I can't seem to find any quantize options when recording using the keys or pads?!

@Samu The latest beta today introduced quantize clip and midi recording

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Samu said:
    Maybe I'n 'blind' (as usual) but I can't seem to find any quantize options when recording using the keys or pads?!

Noticed that...

Now I need to figure where the piano-roll grid-settings are so I can do them triplets :sunglasses:
    Things are so small I can't spend too much time with the app in one sitting before I need to rest my eyes...

• edited October 2023

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Samu said:

Noticed that...

Now I need to figure where the piano-roll grid-settings are so I can do them triplets :sunglasses:
    Things are so small I can't spend too much time with the app in one sitting before I need to rest my eyes...

@samu Agree with you there I asked for the plus/ minus buttons to change piano roll scaling to be enlarged as they were tiny. Maybe they should have gone down the LK route with slidable full screen panels rather than trying to fit it all on one screen. Or followed the Logic Pro style. It’s a trade off for simplicity I suppose.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@samu Agree with you there I asked for the plus/ minus buttons to change piano roll scaling to be enlarged as they were tiny. Maybe they should have gone down the LK route with slidable full screen panels rather than trying to fit it all on one screen. Or followed the Logic Pro style. It’s a trade off for simplicity I suppose.

The piano-roll can be made almost full-screen and each 'mode'(selected on the left) remembers their settings (the two buttons at the bottom of the screen to expand/collapse top/bottom area while keeping the selected mode focused in the middle).

I still have some issues with dragging samples directly to pads but maybe I'll just adapt to dragging the samples to the machines, that seems to work a bit more reliably.

Since I don't use an external controller that often a bigger on-screen keyboard would be handy as one octave is hardly enough, stack two of them on top of each other and it could work. Copying the 8x8 grid layout with scale support would be bonkers for on-screen performance :sunglasses:

The metronome could use a few other modes, the on/off is a bit limiting.
    A few option could be, during count-in only, when recording is enabled and always.

I know @sinosoidal keeps an eye on the forum so I'll share some brain-farts here and check if it makes sense to others as well.

Today I mostly focused on checking the export functions as they were a bit shaky in the previous betas...

We'll see where things go, it's not that far until release...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

The piano-roll can be made almost full-screen and each 'mode'(selected on the left) remembers their settings (the two buttons at the bottom of the screen to expand/collapse top/bottom area while keeping the selected mode focused in the middle).

I still have some issues with dragging samples directly to pads but maybe I'll just adapt to dragging the samples to the machines, that seems to work a bit more reliably.

Since I don't use an external controller that often a bigger on-screen keyboard would be handy as one octave is hardly enough, stack two of them on top of each other and it could work. Copying the 8x8 grid layout with scale support would be bonkers for on-screen performance :sunglasses:

A few option could be, during count-in only, when recording is enabled and always.

I know @sinosoidal keeps an eye on the forum so I'll share some brain-farts here and check if it makes sense to others as well.

Today I mostly focused on checking the export functions as they were a bit shaky in the previous betas...

Cheers!

We are always reading your comments and there are always very pertinent suggestions and issues awareness. We just need to handle priorities.

A new feature? or more stability for release?

It is more easy to add new features once the core is stable then trying to fit everything that is asked for the first release. :blush:

• @sinosoidal said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Cheers!

We are always reading your comments and there are always very pertinent suggestions and issues awareness. We just need to handle priorities.

It is more easy to add new features once the core is stable then trying to fit everything that is asked for the first release. :blush:

Thanks for being so open to suggestions and criticisms. It’s come a long way from when I first tried it, especially on the stability front. Stoked to see where it goes from here 🙏

• @Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Cheers!

Cheers @Samu yer the keyboard is a bit limiting hopefully they can expand that. Also bring over the pianoroll features from LK side menu. Solo more than one track at a time would be handy also. @sinosoidal

• @HotStrange said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Cheers!

Thanks for being so open to suggestions and criticisms. It’s come a long way from when I first tried it, especially on the stability front. Stoked to see where it goes from here 🙏

Thanks for the feedback and support. We know that we are far from all the request you guys make but we want to make it as solid as possible for the release and then improve along the road. :blush:

• @sinosoidal said:

@HotStrange said:

@sinosoidal said:

@Samu said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback and support. We know that we are far from all the request you guys make but we want to make it as solid as possible for the release and then improve along the road. :blush:

We’re all in this together 🤝

• Word! Yeah… keep it simple and reliable! > @dendy said:

I think it is important to understand the main purpose of classic groovebox gear type (it's same for SW and HW realm) ..

It is not made for the purpose of detailed editing and building whole track the way how you build it in DAW with all kinds of detailed tweak which are usually possible in DAW.

Groovebox is like "guitar" or "piano" for electronic music producer. It's for just improvising and building some groove/melodic structures of (mostly electornic dance music) track, for quick finding ideas which are working, structures which are making track foundation.

Those structures are then mentioned to be used for live performance (in terms of live tweaking of parameters, muting/unmuting tracks, switching patterns in real time - hence creating track progression in real time, something which is normally "written" or "imprinted" in DAW project) - OR for exporting stems into some kind of DAW for finishing details and making full blown track with "fixed" structure ..

The main purpose of groovebox, in case it should stay in it's main use case area, contradicts the idea of having it super complex with tons of features - cause a lot of features leads it is not useable for quick track sketch, quick building of basic tracks groove structures. Also for live performence you really do not want groovebox with billions of features, submenus, atc. Simplicity and limited set of deatures is crucial for groovebox to serve it's purpose,

I think atm BAM is right on the spot in this area.

I would say absolutely crucial thing on which devs should throw all their time is to make BAM brutally stable and reliable. Cause i see very big use case for live performance, but if it will be not 100% rock solid stable like piece of concrete block, this use case melts down very quickly. Just one random crash can totally destroy whole performance, so this should absolute top priority, way more important that adding any thinkable feature.

If DAW crashes sometimes, you can at large extend solve this by saving project more often.
    If groovebox crashes sometimes - you simply avoid using it at all, cause you doesn't want getting crash in middle of your performance.

Just sayin'

• +1 for keeping focus squarely on stable and reliable. It’s almost there.

I hope 🤞 the devs keep it fairly easy and intuitive to use as it is now.

• edited October 2023

@sinosoidal Just tried my Korg Nanokey Studio via Bluetooth MIDI Mapping is simple enough for the best part it worked also recording in automation via my keyboard works. Had one or 2 issues which I reported.

One the whole top job. ( Now need a bigger more knob, button controller !)

Hope we get scene launch mapping in the future as this in live use would be valuable. Also the plus / minus buttons to enlarge the pianoroll would be nice as find tapping these to extend the pianoroll the biggest workflow killer at present.

Bit unsure what the configuration button does under mapping manager anyone figure out ?

Hopefully once the manual comes out it will list what is midi mappable.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @sinosoidal Just tried my Korg Nanokey Studio via Bluetooth MIDI Mapping is simple enough for the best part it worked also recording in automation via my keyboard works. Had one or 2 issues which I reported.

One the whole top job. ( Now need a bigger more knob, button controller !)

Hope we get scene launch mapping in the future as this in live use would be valuable. Also the plus / minus buttons to enlarge the pianoroll would be nice as find tapping these to extend the pianoroll the biggest workflow killer at present.

Bit unsure what the configuration button does under mapping manager anyone figure out ?

Hopefully once the manual comes out it will list what is midi mappable.

Dont wanna derail the thread too much but how do you like the Nanokey Studio? I’m looking at getting that and the NanoKontrol soon. Can the pads be paged over to have a full 16 or is it only 8?

• Anyone figured out how to copy paste notes in the pianoroll?