Loopy Pro: Create music, your way.

What is Loopy Pro?Loopy Pro is a powerful, flexible, and intuitive live looper, sampler, clip launcher and DAW for iPhone and iPad. At its core, it allows you to record and layer sounds in real-time to create complex musical arrangements. But it doesn’t stop there—Loopy Pro offers advanced tools to customize your workflow, build dynamic performance setups, and create a seamless connection between instruments, effects, and external gear.

Use it for live looping, sequencing, arranging, mixing, and much more. Whether you're a live performer, a producer, or just experimenting with sound, Loopy Pro helps you take control of your creative process.

Download on the App Store

Loopy Pro is your all-in-one musical toolkit. Try it for free today.

The Audiobus Forum is now the Loopy Pro Forum!

In case you didn't see the announcement thread, I have some big news: Audiobus – the app – is going to a new home. Francesco and Andrea are developers and musicians who are keen to pursue Audiobus’ further potential, keep it updated and enhance the experience for users old and new – and unlike me, they have the resources to do so! They’re full of ideas and energy, and I am confident that Audiobus will be in good hands.

The Audiobus Forum, however, is staying right here with me. After some consultation with the community here about what to do, I've decided to rename it to the Loopy Pro Forum, at forum.loopypro.com.

It has a new name and new colours, but otherwise, it's the same place, and nothing else will change.

Cheers,
Michael

Imaginando - BAM - Beat Maker & Music Maker - Out Now

Comments

• edited September 2023

@espiegel123 said:
    I really don’t get the Drambo comparisons at all. It doesn’t seem Drambo-like to me. Unless all grooveboxes and clip launchers —including those that came before Drambo are Drambo-like.

for me it’s general layout (“rack” on top, clip launcher/piano roll in middle, keyboard on bottom) and also how you add modules in rack from left to right

it just reminds me in general super simplified drambo without modular aspect ..

i would literally suggest to absolute beginner to start with BAM and when he reaches limits and needs for more possibilities an deeper features set them switch to Drambo … i am prety sure it would be seamless transition ..

• @dendy said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I really don’t get the Drambo comparisons at all. It doesn’t seem Drambo-like to me. Unless all grooveboxes and clip launchers —including those that came before Drambo are Drambo-like.

for me it’s general layout (“rack” on top, clip launcher/piano roll in middle, keyboard on bottom) and also how you add modules in rack from left to right

it just reminds me in general super simplified drambo without modular aspect ..

i would literally suggest to absolute beginner to start with BAM and when he reaches limits and needs for more possibilities an deeper features set them switch to Drambo … i am prety sure it would be seamless transition ..

Inspiration from Drambo is obvious in how you connect modules and workflow in general. Other than that, nothing even remotely comes close to the Drambo functionality-wise. But BAM looks freaking good as a groove-box AU host. Hats off to the developers!

As everybody already knows, I really dislike any boxed spreadsheet timeline. But that's me, who cares. ;)

• @Samu said:

@dendy said:

I personally would not call my music "beats" at any extend :lol: I am not beat maker and i do not make beats.

I call them 'Techno Grooves' :sunglasses:

I still call video games “computer games” 👨🏻‍🦳

• i love Drambo and use it heavily, but am still very excited for this. Grooveboxes are my favourite kind of toy, and each have their own flavour. Based on Imaginado's track record, this promises to be great

• edited September 2023

@Luxthor said:
    As everybody already knows, I really dislike any boxed spreadsheet timeline. But that's me, who cares. ;)

i am 50:50 here .. this kind of approach is great when your plan is not to make complete song, but more like prapare some basic structures which you then plan to perform live in the way that you mute/unmute some elements (clips, tracks) and you tweak knobs - and this way you "build" real song structure live .. for that is this great, of course when i want to create full song, then classic linear timeline is absolutely superior to session view ...

This app is groovebox and that defines everything. I personally have it same with Drambo. I finally discovered how fantastic customised live set i can build around Drambo - but i would never try to make full song innit, for that i would just pick Nanostudio all the time.

It's just about to selecting proper tools which are optimised for given job. Grooveboxe / session view is simply ideal for live performance. BAM really has that experience i have with Elektron boxes or for example Roland MC707 .. or Drambo. For me it's same category of musical tools, just different in how (extremely in some cases;)) deep you can go.

• @ghost_forests said:

@Samu said:

@dendy said:

I personally would not call my music "beats" at any extend :lol: I am not beat maker and i do not make beats.

Having grown up spending my formative music production years using Commodore Amiga mod trackers, (and also using said term "computer games" for classics like Sensible Soccer and Zool etc) It makes me think of just how much my 11-year old self would have been totally blown away with the possibilities of BAM. Kids these days don't know how good they have it! 😝#BackInMyDay

I am excited about introducing my nephews to BAM though, I wonder what they'll make of/with it! 😁

• @EvilClivE said:

Having grown up spending my formative music production years using Commodore Amiga mod trackers, (and also using said term "computer games" for classics like Sensible Soccer and Zool etc) It makes me think of just how much my 11-year old self would have been totally blown away with the possibilities of BAM. Kids these days don't know how good they have it! 😝#BackInMyDay

Indeed. This sleepwalk thing still plays in my head from time to time...
    ...When the OG Sound Tracker dropped with the ST-01 disk I was sold...

My first entry to 'trackers' was Chris Huelsbecks Sound Monitor for the C64 which I got on a swap-floppy...

I do feel 'old' at times :sunglasses:

• @dendy said:

@cokomairena said:

@dendy said:
    i am in beta for some time and i REALLY like this app … it’s lot of fun to work with it, really inspirative groovebox with some very clever UI details … devs are working hard to fixing bugs and improving details where needed.. very promising project 👍

Sadly nothing like that was shown on the video, I trust your word tho.

i just like it.. it’s not that it has all possible features and unlimited posibilities, as i know people here there will be for sure complains “i am missing this or that”, yeah it has no audio tracks so for some people end of world 🤣🤣

I look at it as at very compact nice geoovebox, where some limitations are actually benefitial and holding it in area of high fun and live jamming - instead of deep elaborate track composition most of features sre directly accessible on one screen or max one tap away.

I would say it’s most close to experience i have with my hw groove boxes as it gets. Having really fun with it.

You know someone will find something to complain about 😂

It definitely does have a hardware feel to it. This and GR-16 both do a great job of capturing that feeling.

To me it’s not super similar to Drambo besides both being grooveboxes. I use them in totally different ways though. Drambo is to either get experimental or make my own custom effects for processing audio and samples. BAM is for when I just want to jam and have fun and it’s EXCELLENT for that. And still very powerful despite not being as modular as Drambo.

• @ghost_forests said:

@Samu said:

@dendy said:

According to my younger staff members, they’re now just called ‘games’ 🤷‍♂️

• @ghost_forests said:

@Samu said:

@dendy said:

Yep, why are they called video games anyway… my old VHS and Betamax video players never played any games!! 😀 computer games or console games in my book.

• Those of us who are old enough probably had ‘TV Games’ before we had computer games ;)

• edited September 2023

@el_bo said:
    Those of us who are old enough probably had ‘TV Games’ before we had computer games ;)

wow .. my first was this one , but your looks even more ancient 😂

We went long way from playing that to playing this multiplayer online game on phone :-) Curious where will be gaming 40 years from now (looking at you, neuralink v10.0)

• @dendy said:

@el_bo said:
    Those of us who are old enough probably had ‘TV Games’ before we had computer games ;)

We went long way from playing that to playing this multiplayer online game on phone :-) Curious where will be gaming 40 years from now (looking at you, neuralink v10.0)

Yeah, those tv games evolved from 'Pong' and pre-dated the Atari. A few of my friends had the Atari, but my parents thought it was too expensive (It was, at that time). A few years later they got me a ZX Spectrum, though. Was happy to have waited :)

• edited September 2023

@sinosoidal said:

Yes, it inherits LK song mode and that's already built in. We just can't promise that for an initial release as we are mostly working for stability now. :blush:

This is mildly concerning considering how unstable LK is (pretty much unusable on my iPad air M1, and seems like I'm not the only one). You've had a good track record in the past and some great apps, plus confirmed recently that LK will get some attention soon, so I'm sure you'll eventually get around to fixing it. But these problems have seemingly been around for atleast 8-9 months so if any of the LK code has transferred over that's atleast slightly concerning. Probably going to sit this one out for a while unless there is a really good intro price or something.

• @dendy said:

@Luxthor said:

i am 50:50 here .. this kind of approach is great when your plan is not to make complete song, but more like prapare some basic structures which you then plan to perform live in the way that you mute/unmute some elements (clips, tracks) and you tweak knobs - and this way you "build" real song structure live .. for that is this great, of course when i want to create full song, then classic linear timeline is absolutely superior to session view ...

This app is groovebox and that defines everything. I personally have it same with Drambo. I finally discovered how fantastic customised live set i can build around Drambo - but i would never try to make full song innit, for that i would just pick Nanostudio all the time.

It's just about to selecting proper tools which are optimised for given job. Grooveboxe / session view is simply ideal for live performance. BAM really has that experience i have with Elektron boxes or for example Roland MC707 .. or Drambo. For me it's same category of musical tools, just different in how (extremely in some cases;)) deep you can go.

I completely understand that you can’t escape linearity, and there is some charm in those spreadsheets, but my brain always switches to the combinatorial side instead of staying on the artistic, spontaneous one. Also, I must admit that my affinity for constant exploration makes me want to test DAWs like Renoise. The programmer in me wants that badly, but I'm aware that art will suffer. 😅

• edited September 2023

@Luxthor said:

@dendy said:

@Luxthor said:

I completely understand that you can’t escape linearity, and there is some charm in those spreadsheets, but my brain always switches to the combinatorial side instead of staying on the artistic, spontaneous one. Also, I must admit that my affinity for constant exploration makes me want to test DAWs like Renoise. The programmer in me wants that badly, but I'm aware that art will suffer. 😅

holy crap.. i am pretty sure i would absolutely love all that features and possibilities and i am also absolutely sure i would not finish single one track in it 🤣🤣🤣

• @dendy said:

@el_bo said:

Haha me and my wife play COD Mobile a lot. It’s really fun.

• @maschinelf said:

@sinosoidal said:

Yes, it inherits LK song mode and that's already built in. We just can't promise that for an initial release as we are mostly working for stability now. :blush:

This is mildly concerning considering how unstable LK is (pretty much unusable on my iPad air M1, and seems like I'm not the only one). You've had a good track record in the past and some great apps, plus confirmed recently that LK will get some attention soon, so I'm sure you'll eventually get around to fixing it. But these problems have seemingly been around for atleast 8-9 months so if any of the LK code has transferred over that's atleast slightly concerning. Probably going to sit this one out for a while unless there is a really good intro price or something.

Well they did literally mention in the comment you’re replying to that they were specifically focusing on stability and that the LK features haven’t been transferred yet. They’re likely a small team and don’t have the staff to abandon an app in beta to fix an issue that doesn’t seem to be widespread enough I suppose.

What issues are you having though? I have the 2022 Air M1 as well and have used it quite a bit with no issues so far. Is it just with the sequencing or clip launching?

• edited September 2023

@HotStrange said:

That's PubG :-) But thinking about trying COD - i get in PubG to the point where i am skilled to the level that i am not much enjoying the game, cause i am constantly getting too much skilled players in map, when i was less skilled, sometimes i even finished whole game, now i take down 2-3 players and then somebody takes down me :-))))

Btw you wife is playing with you COD ?? Wow, hold on her, that's pretty unique unicorn :lol:

• @dendy said:

@HotStrange said:

That's PubG :-) But thinking about trying COD - i get in PubG to the point where i am skilled to the level that i am not much enjoying the game, cause i am constantly getting too much skilled players in map, when i was less skilled, sometimes i even finished whole game, now i take down 2-3 players and then somebody takes down me :-))))

Btw you wife is playing with you COD ?? Wow, hold on her, that's pretty unique unicorn :lol:

An you’re right! Should’ve looked more closely. I haven’t tried PubG yet but COD has a similar problem but not that bad! Sometimes it’ll put us in matches with VERY experienced players (like streamers on twitch and the likes) but it usually feels mostly like a fair game. And having multiplayer options outside of only Battle Royale is fun. Btw, a new one is coming out in November!

And yes! Haha we play Fortnite on occasions as well as we each have switches. She’s definitely a unique one :)

• @dendy said:

@HotStrange said:

COD with the wife?! 😳The best thing I do with mine is to go to the WoW Stranglethorn fishing extravaganza every few years around Christmas. 😂

• @Luxthor said:

@dendy said:

@Luxthor said:

Haha! Not sure there's a better example of music-by-spreadsheet than Renoise? 😂

• @HotStrange said:

Well they did literally mention in the comment you’re replying to that they were specifically focusing on stability and that the LK features haven’t been transferred yet. They’re likely a small team and don’t have the staff to abandon an app in beta to fix an issue that doesn’t seem to be widespread enough I suppose.

What issues are you having though? I have the 2022 Air M1 as well and have used it quite a bit with no issues so far. Is it just with the sequencing or clip launching?

Well yes I'm aware that they said that and also literally said in my post that they've had a good track record and made some great apps and expect them to eventually fix it .. so there's that ☺️ .. also they themselves posted abt this around a month back on the main lk thread so are also aware of it. That they are a small team and still released some quality apps is commendable but is also exactly part of the point/concern, because much as I enjoy their apps and respect the quality of their output, the complexity of BAM has likely led to diversion of resources and attention away from other stuff, as they themselves admitted in the post I mentioned above. Which is all good if it leads to another great app, which BAM seems to be, and in the meantime I did figure out an alternative anyway, though still hope an LK fix comes soon.

The thing though is that LK has been so unstable in my experience (by far my most unstable auv3 app), that anything inherited from it would be a cause for concern. The issue is within AUM every session starts out ok but they always end up becoming problematic. The UI freezes and hangs, and usually when this happens there are hanging notes too. I tried to go step by step and try various different options, other plugins I thought may or may not be problematic etc, and ultimately came to the conclusion that it eventually happens with every project. You can reload the project and I haven't lost any work yet, but then basically have to save at every step and there's no telling when you will have to reload the project again. I haven't tried on my 2017 ipad so can't say for sure whether it's specific to the air. But based on the comments relating to this and similar issues that have been around since last year, I've noticed the air mentioned in quite a few of them.

• If they integrate the midi automapping of LK they have a big advantage over Drambo for live jams.…

• @el_bo said:

@Luxthor said:

@dendy said:

@Luxthor said:

It’s freaking attractive, and I know it’s not for me. But I'm going to test it eventually, that's for sure. 🫣

• @Luxthor said:

@el_bo said:

@Luxthor said:

@dendy said:

@Luxthor said:

It’s freaking attractive, and I know it’s not for me. But I'm going to test it eventually, that's for sure. 🫣

When we are talking about trackers, Polyend Tracker or Tracker Mini is something i am really considering. Looks like extremely inspirative device.

• @HotStrange said:
    An you’re right! Should’ve looked more closely. I haven’t tried PubG yet but COD has a similar problem but not that bad! Sometimes it’ll put us in matches with VERY experienced players (like streamers on twitch and the likes) but it usually feels mostly like a fair game. And having multiplayer options outside of only Battle Royale is fun. Btw, a new one is coming out in November!

pribably will check it .. maybe we meet in some playground, watch for evil RaySubject shooting from dark corner 😂

• @Luxthor said:

@el_bo said:

@Luxthor said:

@dendy said:

@Luxthor said:

I quite like the look of it. I used to own it, so I'm not unaware of its charms. But entering hexadecimal in rows and columns is objectively more 'spreadsheet' than a piano-roll, or working directly with audio in a timeline.

And it's not like trackers don't have timelines. They do. They just run vertically versus horizontally ;)

• @el_bo said:

I quite like the look of it. I used to own it, so I'm not unaware of its charms. But entering hexadecimal in rows and columns is objectively more 'spreadsheet' than a piano-roll, or working directly with audio in a timeline.

Once one learns to 'play' the qwerty keyboard as a 2 1/2 octave 'keyboard' with down-arrow a 'rest' note-entry is way, way faster than using a mouse to enter notes into a piano-roll and the control you get per note is on another level (Think P-Locks on roids) :sunglasses:

My current Renoise license is good until 3.5 which should be a couple more years considering that phase at which point updates drop...

• Well this got derailed lol